Monday, August 8, 2011

Death of the Book Store Part 2.


My wife and I were in our local Borders this weekend to say good-bye. I mean to say shop while the store was still open. Everything was marked down, and everything was for sale. The shelving, the register counter, the ladders, the chairs were long gone. No lounging around the 50% rack. You had to stand with all the other book buyers. My wife made the comment that it wasn't that technology killed the book store is as much people cannot afford much in these tough economic times and cannot afford the traditional cost of a hardcover book. Again technology made books cheaper and more affordable by being on an ereader. She might be right but I couldn’t help to feel a little nostalgic as I browsed the slim pickings of the book. All the times I browsed over vast quantities of books. I wonder when the next time will  be when I can walk into a bookstore and admire all the wonderful hard and soft cover books. Maybe never again. It’s just a matter of time before Barnes and Nobles shutters all it’s brick and mortar stores, and exists solely as online purveyor of ebooks and ereaders. RIP bookstores.

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment